Lobster Roll Recipe
(Makes 4 servings)
1 lb cooked lobster meat, shredded (3 cups)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ cup melted butter
4 hot dog buns
1. In a large bowl, combine lobster, mayonnaise and pepper; mix lightly until blended. Brush cut sides of buns with butter; broil until toasted.
2. Place lobster mixture; serve immediately with potato chips
Test your knowledge of Maine’s famous crustacean with this quiz!
Answers at the bottom (no peeking!)
1. The chief U.S. lobster fishing area is:
2. Lobsters are usually around 8 inches long when they are caught.
They can grow as long as:
A. 18 inches
B. 42 inches
C. 6 feet
3. They can weigh up to 45 pounds. When caught, most weigh around:
A. 8 ounces
B. 1 lb
C. 5 lbs
4. Female lobsters are called:
5. Male lobsters are called:
6. The blood of a lobster is:
7. A baby lobster looks like its parents:
A. When it hatches
B. About 3 weeks after hatching
C. About a year after hatching
8. In the 5 to 7 years it takes a lobster to grow to legal size, it will have molted about:
A. 10 times
B. 25 times
C. 100 times
9. When molting the lobster removes its old shell by:
A. Scraping against rocks
B. Cracking it with its claws
C. Softening it with body secretions and then cracking it by expanding its muscles
10. How much does a lobster grow each time it sheds its shell?
11. After molting, it takes 6-8 weeks for the new shell to harden, during this time the lobster:
A. Hide among the rocks at the bottom for protection
B. Shows off its new shell to its friends
12. Most live lobsters are greenish-brown to black in color because of many different color pigments. Why do they turn red when they are cooked?
A. Lust like us, the lobsters shell flushes with heat
B. Cooking masks the color pigments and the red background pigment shows
C. Boiling washes off the dirt and seas salt exposing the true red color.
13. What does a lobster use to locate food?
C. "Smells", using the tiny hairs covering its antennae
14. What are "culls"?
A. Lobsters that have lost 1 or both claws
B. Lobsters that are underweight
C. Ugly-looking lobsters
15. The lobster has 2 large claws. The club claw is larger than the other and is used for crushing. The smaller one, called the quick claw, has sharp, tooth-like projections and is used for seizing and tearing prey. The club claw is always:
A. On the right side
B. On the left side
C. Either side
16. What happens when lobster loses a claw?
A. It teams up with other culls and they can hunt in packs
B.cIt regenerates a new one in 3 to 4 molts
C. It becomes smaller due to being a less efficient hunter.
1-c, 2-b, 3-b, 4-a, 5-c, 6-a, 7-b, 8-b, 9-c, 10-c, 11-a, 12-b, 13-c, 14-a, 15-c, 16-b